Monday, March 28, 2011

Moorhead Monday: Coercion or Charity

My statement at tonight's Moorhead City Council meeting regarding the contract with the Fargo Park District for Metro Senior Ride.

While the increase in the contracted cost from $6/ride in early 2010 to $9/ride as proposed tonight is enough to oppose this action, my objection has more to do with a matter of principles. First, by subsidizing 70% of the cost of this service, a virtual government forced monopoly is supported. Second, as only a portion of our citizens can use this service, I find it troubling that the majority of the cost is paid by those prohibited from using it. Knowing many seniors, I can't imagine that they are the kind of people that would insist that someone else pay for their transportation - I think our seniors are self-reliant and reject entitlement mentality. Third, many of the people that are forced to subsidize this service are living on fixed incomes, unemployed or teetering on foreclosure.

I do not doubt the benefit of this service to some, and I agree with the goal of this program. But I subscribe to a belief in voluntary charity. Government programs are delivered through funds appropriated via coercion and force and in this case from many who are less able to absorb those costs. On one hand we claim to care about people facing homelessness and on the other hand we implement policies such as this which directly oppose that claim. Additionally, when government uses force to enact charitable programs, it pushes out voluntarily funded religious and fraternal organizations. I reject this method of coercive "charity", regardless of the stated goals.

Finally, if I am aware of true need, have the means to help, and fail to do so; that is MY sin. But when elected bodies support government forcing people further into need, that is THEIR sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment