Monday, May 30, 2011

Moorhead Monday: A Troubled Bridge Over Water

As a free market proponent, I certainly have no objections to toll bridges in theory - I think it is a preferable model. However, I think the law should apply as equally as possible, even if it isn't a perfect one. This is the main reason I support converting the north Moorhead (15th Ave)/Fargo (12th Ave) to a cities-owned and maintained toll-free bridge as soon as the current contract expires - which is 1/1/2013. The alternative is to make all the bridges in Fargo-Moorhead toll bridges... and if that ever gets legs I'll go along with that.

The toll bridge owners have requested an extension but the Moorhead city council has not, to this point, agreed. I think the toll-payers, who have not been exempted from paying for the other bridges, have "paid their dues" for the last 25 years. Unfortunately, the owners of the bridge have decided to leave the bridge closed to protest our decision to stick with the existing agreement. If they stick to their guns, our choices are: 1) agree to 5 more years of tolls or, 2) live without the bridge for another 19 months and then take ownership. For now, I'll stick with what the parties have already agreed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment